With such potentially devastating consequences, how do you protect yourself? Staying up-to-date with cybersecurity best practices is essential. Here are our top tips for keeping your data safe while traveling.
- Never expect privacy when traveling. Always assume that any information you send electronically can be intercepted and whatever digital information you have on your smartphone, tablet or laptop is at risk of being stolen.
- Avoid bringing unnecessary electronics with you; especially those containing sensitive information.
- Never leave your electronics unattended — that includes not leaving them in a hotel room safe.
- If you do have to bring electronics with you, make sure they are encrypted, up to date, have antivirus/antimalware software installed and the firewall is enabled.
- Subscribe to a reputable VPN service to keep your connection secure for when you do need to connect to the internet.
- When it comes to digital security and traveling, a large dose of paranoia is very healthy.